What to do if your dog eats candy?

0 votes
in Pets & Animals by
My dog ate the Halloween candy...?

So I have a 10-month-old Weimaraner.. I went to the store last night after the trick or treaters had finished and while I was gone the cat and the dog tag teamed knocking over the candy bowl.

I came home to find it upside down on the floor.. I thought it looked like less candy but I wasn't sure. Today my dog got sick a couple of times after eating this morning. I was hoping it was just because he ate too fast.. tonight I was proven wrong. In the sixth pile of puke, there were candy wrappers.

I am not sure how much he ate. He has been tired all day, but otherwise seems ok..

From what I have read normal chocolate symptoms are hyperactivity, excessive urination, and vomiting.. the only one he is exhibiting is the vomiting. My understanding is if I bring him to the vet all they will do is give him pills to vomit...

How long does this last, what signs should I look for for worsening symptoms?

8 Answers

0 votes
by
If it's been this long since he ate them, he's not going to die of Chocolate poisoning, no.

He'll probably continue to feel out of sorts for another 24 hours or so. Diarrhea, maybe some vomiting.

You may want to run out and buy some unflavored Pedialyte to keep him hydrated, as dehydration is a real concern with the amount he's been vomiting. (You'd generally dilute it by half with water.)

If you can't get out, any plain broth you have in the house could be added to his water to entice him to drink more.

If he starts to look any worse, I'd call the vet. He could be dehydrated.
0 votes
by
Many Weims steal food from counters.  I'm not sure that's not what happened.  In that, you KNOW chocolate can be poisonous/toxic - I have to wonder WHY it was left out with easy (it turns out) access?  

WHY would you give no thought to it or to leaving it OUT, yet leave the animals with easy ability to get to it?  Had you created the dog, at least he would not be sick?  I question whether a cat would have eaten any of the chocolate.

It is also unfortunate you thought some had been eaten, but did NOTHING about it.  It's too late now, other than the outcome.  Vomiting & having to clean it up, is the least of the possibilities.  Milk chocolate is not nearly as dangerous as cooking or dark chocolate.  It can cause heartbeat irregularities (see full list below).   

While he may not have eaten enough to be fatal (too bad you have no idea how much) you'll have to ride it out.  Had you seen a vet, ASAP, the vet could have pumped his stomach, given him charcoal, etc.  Theobromine & Methylxanthines are the active toxic ingredients. Caffeine and theobromine have an effect on animals similar to that on people. They increase the breathing and heart rate, sometimes causing irregular beating of the heart. They cause restlessness because of the changes in calcium and energy sources at the cellular level. Caffeine also directly stimulates the myocardium and central
0 votes
by
Your dog ate the candy the LAST NITE..   there's nothing the vet can do at this point about the chocolate.. he already digested the chocolate...  there's no point in making him vomit it up now.

Your dog may have a blockage from the undigestable candy wrappers tho.
0 votes
by
hmm that a tough one my dog also has done a stunt like this, eating a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies. Milk Chocolate is less of a problem but no puking is something to worry about if they don't puke after eating chocolate it's a problem, after eating something that poisonous the animal should try and throw it up. It weird but if you worried go to a vet.
0 votes
by
Starve your dog for a few days. The vomit should turn from clumpy, thick masses to watery foam. He will eventually stop, just no more chocolate from now on.
0 votes
by
the wrapper might be a problem, but if it is chocolate he will be ok. If it's something like hard candy... that's another story.
0 votes
by
Emergency vet.  Now.  He may be having intestinal problems.  Something may be stuck there.
0 votes
by
when I was younger my dog ate my Christmas chocolate and the tin foil. he was completely fine and he was a fairly small dog.  I'm sure yours will be as well
...